Things to do while staying at Horizon Cottages
Cape Town offers hundreds of interesting things to do and see but we have compiled this list for our guests because these things to do in the Southern peninsula are all within a 5-20 minute drive from our affordable Cape Town holiday accommodation
Having spent many happy holidays in Cape Town, Mark and Gaynor decided to follow their hearts and move to the stunning Cape and set up a cycling tour business. Being a very experienced and passionate cyclist Mark believes cycling is the only way to see and experience how much Cape Town and her surrounds has to offer and how truly breathtaking the scenery really iCome and see for yourself..Mark is a THETA registered tour guide (WC 6770) for the Western Cape Province and the Garden Route.
Bike rentals and tours :-)
Noordhoek local activities
- Fine dining with renowned chef Frank Dangeraux at the Food Barn
- The Toad is both a family friendly restaurant and a well patronised pub
- Café Roux offers country style dining both indoors and in their lovely outdoor patio
- The Food barn deli has gourmet home bakes and food items- superb for making your own picnic hamper.
- Dine out at country restaurant on the road to Noordhoek Long Beach the "Red Herring"
- Taste award winning wines at Cape Point Vineyards, located between the disparate icy Atlantic and the warm currents of False Bay; ideal for superior winemaking. Enjoy their popular Thursday family food market from 4:30- 8:30
- Horse ride on Noordhoek beach Tel 082 418 7877 or 083 261 0104
- Take a 7km beach walk on Noordhoek beach, and see the remains of the shipwrecked “Kakapoe”.
- Take the kids swimming at the safe tidal pools nearby - St James; Kalk bay, Glencairn.
- Visit Peer’s cave, Fish Hoek valley famous for 12,000 year old Palaeolithic skeletons discovered in a cave in 1927.
- Visit historic 18th century Imhoff Farm, Kommetjie housing a farm stall, while the stables, slave quarters and milking sheds offer interesting craft by local artists. Here you can buy home made cheese and farm baked breads, ride a Camel or take the kids to visit the Snake and Reptile Park .
- Take a Township tour and experience the informal African settlement at nearby Masiphumelele.
- Marvel at Slangkop Lighthouse Kommetjie; at 33 metres the strongest and tallest cast iron lighthouse on the South African Coast, operational since March 1919.
- Walk or hike in the Silvermine nature reserve of the Table Mountain National park just above our self catering Cape Town holiday accommodation.
- Take the family on a scenic coastal train ride following the beaches from Muizenberg to Simon’s Town.
- Meander the Constantia wine route just minutes from our affordable self catering accommodation.
- Visit Groot Constantia Manor House developed by Simon van der Stel in 1685, now a cultural history museum portraying the early years of the Cape.
- Order a Picnic basket from one of the restaurants and enjoy the tranquil gardens and lawns of the Groot Constantia Estate.
- Visit the beautiful Kirstenbosch national botanical gardens Tel: 021 799 8783
- Take a scenic drive to Hout Bay on the spectacular Chapman’s peak drive, which starts at our affordable self catering accommodation and enjoy breathtaking ocean vistas.
In Hout Bay enjoy the lovely beach and village atmosphere including:
- Fisherman's Wharf - built around the hull of the Kingfisher, an original 1940's wooden trawler and buy fresh fish and live lobsters, local and imported seafood. Dine at several seafood restaurants; Enjoy excellent inexpensive local fish & chips next to the sea; buy original oak smoked snoek from the factory shop.
- Take boat trips to Seal Island in a glass-bottomed boat, or sunset champagne cruises to the V&A Waterfront.
- Visit the amazing World of Birds Africa's largest Bird Sanctuary with over 3000 birds and monkeys, Tel: 021 790 2730
- Visit the historic seafaring town of Simonstown, with its "Historic Mile" of beautifully preserved historic buildings dating from 17 th Century Dutch to Victorian.
- Boulders Beach penguin colony, where you can swim with African (Jackass) Penguins which are so called for the donkey-like braying sounds they make when on land. Tel: 021 786 2329
- Take a unforgettable cruise around Simon's Bay to Seal Island or Cape Point with Simon's Town Boat Company to join them for an unforgettable cruise call 083 257 7760 or Email: [email protected]
- Take a trip to Seal Island to see the breaching great white sharks, one of natures' most awesome spectacles with African Shark Eco-Charters; operating from Simon’s Town. Tel 082 674 9454 or Email: [email protected]
- Visit the Simons town museum housed in The Residency circa 1777 depicting the cultural history of Simon's Town. Tel: 021 786 3046.
- Join the locals and have great Fish ‘n Chips at the Salty Sea dog at Simonstown waterfront.
- Take the kids to the “Scratch Patch” - biggest Gemstone factory in the world; a place where you can have fun “scratching” through 1000’s of tumble-polished gemstones that cover the floor as well as play some mini golf in a cave - Tel: 021 786 2020
- Visit the quaint, bohemian fishing village of Kalk Bay – a working fishing harbour and one of the best places to buy fresh fish straight off the boat.
- Enjoy the best Fish ‘n Chips at Kalkie’s in the harbour; informal, inexpensive, eat in or take out. Tel 021 788 1726
- Stroll the Kalk Bay main road looking for Treasure in the many antique, art galleries, bric-a-brac and collectible shops.
- Enjoy the best ever ice cream at the Ice Café- even Jamie Oliver did.
- Snack on pancakes and coffee in an old railway dining coach
- Take a launch boat ride between Simonstown and Kalk bay with the Water taxi; pick-up /drop-off Points from the Kalk Bay Harbour and the Jetty at the Simon's Town Waterfront, Tel: 073 473 7684 or Email: [email protected]
- Kalk Bay is still a lively working harbour and offers great photographic opportunities.
- Drive from Kalk bay up Boye’s Drive for awesome views of the bay and the surfers at play in Muizenberg.
- A short drive 15 minute along the False Bay coast you will find the surfing capital of Cape Town – Muizenberg with many attractions.