Guinea Fowl Cottage
Noordhoek is a peaceful coastal valley suburb of Cape Town, South Africa; known for its beautiful shoreline with a long wide sandy beach stretching for 8 km across to the neighbouring suburb of Kommetjie. There are many accommodation establishments which make Noordhoek popular with Cape Town people and visitors as a place to relax and soothe the soul. The name of the village "Noordhoek" comes from the Dutch for "north corner" when there were large farms that provided provisions to the ships of the Dutch East India Company moored at nearby Simonstown. There is no real commercial farming here anymore except for award winning Cape Point vineyards, although the properties of old Noordhoek are still zoned agricultural.
For this reason it is home to many who keep and ride horses as well as those who love the rural village atmosphere. Traveling anywhere in the village offers a verdant green feast for the eye, with colourful flowers growing not only in gardens but on the verge of the roads, and ducks and geese roaming the lanes. Here you will find cool leafy country lanes with road crossings for horse riders and clean fresh air unpolluted by industry.
Because of its position, Noordhoek enjoys more hours of sunlight than anywhere else in Cape Town and many artists live in Noordhoek. Noordhoek faces west and one can expect a spectacular, colourful sunset on the ocean almost every night. Enjoy it from our affordable Cape Town accommodation or from the decks of one of the nearby collection of country restaurants and pubs. Properties in Noordhoek tend to be large by Cape Town standards; usually an acre or two and many of them have spectacular views of the beach and the ocean from their position perched high on the slopes of the Table Mountain national Park. Noordhoek common is an extensive public green space in the village popular for horse riding, walking the dogs or just exercising.
Noordhoek village is some 30 km from the centre of the city of Cape Town although convenient to most of the attractions of Cape Town and is accessed by three major routes. The most spectacular of these is the scenic coastal road known as Chapman's Peak Drive which can be accessed from the City via the fishing town of Hout Bay. The most popular route is from the M3 highway over the beautiful scenic mountain pass known as the Old Cape Road (ou Kaapse Weg), but Noordhoek can also be accessed from the main road that skirts the shores of False Bay and the charming coastal suburbs of Muizenberg, St James, Kalk Bay and Fish Hoek.
Local attractions include :
- Noordhoek long beach - 8 km of pristine white sand; ideal for surfing, kite surfing or just strolling to the shipwreck on the sands.
- Noordhoek farm village; a lively thatched yesteryear complex containing country restaurants, a children's playground and a number of interesting shops and galleries.
- Silvermine and Table Mountain nature reserve with scenic walks or hikes and spectacular views of False bay.
- Whale watching in the Winter and Spring months
- Imhoff's Gift , Kommetjie, an 18 th Century farm stall complex and cheese factory on the Kommetjie road to Cape Point, where you can enjoy camel or donkey rides, or a variety of restaurants.
- Horse riding on Noordhoek beach is offered on several neighbouring farms.
- Simonstown, Naval base and seafaring town with its "Historic Mile " of beautifully preserved historic buildings dating from 17 th Century Dutch to Victorian, and the Boulders Beach African penguin colony.
- Cape Point Nature Reserve where you can see the 2 Oceans meet in a spectacular clash and watch a variety of plains game.
We wish to share some of the beauty of Noordhoek in our photo gallery
Our guest’s frequent feedback
Browse our guestbook to see more Guest Reviews
"Your place is so peaceful, tranquil and relaxing."
"I could happily live here forever."
For enquiries or information please feel free to contact us:
Phone: +27(0)21 785 1604 / +27(0)83 243 4881
Snail mail: PO Box 698, Noordhoek 7979, Western Cape, South Africa
For travel information about
Barefoot in the Sand
Cape Town see our blog:
The cottages are beautifully decorated, and well equipped for self service and the whole place is so peaceful...
Read more reviews
Photo Gallery of Noordhoek
Please take a moment to
view a short video to see
why we are so popular with
families and couples alike.