Guinea Fowl Cottage
Things to do while staying at Horizon Cottages
Cape Town offers hundreds of interesting things to do and see but we have compiled this list for our guests because these things to do in the Southern peninsula are all within a 5-20 minute drive from our affordable Cape Town holiday accommodation:
- Be spoiled by a qualified and experienced masseuse at your convenience in your accommodation- at affordable prices.
- Visit Noordhoek Farm village - it has a large lawn where kids play or use the jungle gym.
Noordhoek local activities
- Fine dining with renowned chef Frank Dangeraux at the Food Barn
- The Toad is both a family friendly restaurant and a well patronised pub
- Café Roux offers country style dining both indoors and in their lovely outdoor patio
- The Food barn deli has gourmet home bakes and food items- superb for making your own picnic hamper.
- Dine out at country restaurant on the road to Noordhoek Long Beach the “Red Herring “
- Enjoy the best Pizzas and pub grub at Skebanga’s pub with outdoor deck for watching the whales or enjoying the sunsets.
- Order a gourmet picnic basket to suit your taste from the Basket Case Tel: 0860 227 538.
- Taste award winning wines at Cape Point Vineyards, located between the disparate icy Atlantic and the warm currents of False Bay; ideal for superior winemaking.
Tel: 021 789 0900 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rent a bike at Noordhoek farm village and cycle one of the most spectacular coastal drives in the world - Chapman's Peak Drive Phone - 021 789 2654.
- Horse ride on Noordhoek beach Tel 082 418 7877 or 083 261 0104
- Ride a horse safari trail from the beach to the mountains Tel 021 789 1723
- Take a 7km beach walk on Noordhoek beach, and see the remains of the shipwrecked “Kakapoe”.
- Pander to your sweet tooth and visit the Compass bakery factory shop Heron Park, Kommetjie, just up the road from our self catering accommodation for low priced branded cakes, cookies and confectionary.
- Take the kids swimming at the safe tidal pools nearby - St James; Kalk bay, Glencairn.
- Walk with Baboon Matters to guide you across the mountains around Cape Town and spend time with the last remaining Baboons in the Cape Peninsula. Tel: 084 413 9482
- Visit Peer’s cave, Fish Hoek valley famous for 12,000 year old Palaeolithic skeletons discovered in a cave in 1927.
- Visit historic 18th century Imhoff Farm, Kommetjie housing a farm stall, while the stables, slave quarters and milking sheds offer interesting craft by local artists.
Buy home made cheese and farm baked breads.
Ride a Camel at Imhoff's Farm.
- Take the kids to visit the Snake and Reptile Park at Kommetjie.
- Take a Township tour and experience the informal African settlement at nearby Masiphumelele.
- Marvel at Slangkop Lighthouse Kommetjie; at 33 metres the strongest and tallest cast iron lighthouse on the South African Coast, operational since March 1919.
- Walk or hike in the Silvermine nature reserve of the Table Mountain National park just above our self catering Cape Town holiday accommodation.
- Take the family on a scenic coastal train ride following the beaches from Muizenberg to Simon’s Town.
- Meander the Constantia wine route just minutes from our affordable self catering accommodation.
- Visit Groot Constantia Manor House developed by Simon van der Stel in 1685, now a cultural history museum portraying the early years of the Cape.
- Order a Picnic basket from one of the restaurants and enjoy the tranquil gardens and lawns of the Groot Constantia Estate.
- Dine at Simons Restaurant, Groot Constantia, originally a bottling and maturation cellar, offers a variety of continental dishes: Tel: 021 794 1143
- Taste Cape Malay cuisine in the Jonkershuis Restaurant Tel: 021 794 6255
- Visit the Tokai manor house built in 1795 by architect Louis Thibault.
- Visit the beautiful Kirstenbosch national botanical gardens Tel: 021 799 8783
- Take a scenic drive to Hout Bay on the spectacular Chapman’s peak drive, which starts at our affordable self catering accommodation and enjoy breathtaking ocean vistas.
In Hout Bay enjoy the lovely beach and village atmosphere including:
- Fisherman's Wharf - built around the hull of the Kingfisher, an original 1940's wooden trawler and buy fresh fish and live lobsters, local and imported seafood.
- Dine at several seafood restaurants at Fisherman's Wharf.
- Enjoy excellent inexpensive local fish & chips at Mariner's wharf next to the sea.
- Buy original oak smoked snoek from the factory shop.
- Take boat trips to Seal Island in a glass-bottomed boat, or sunset champagne cruises to the V&A Waterfront.
- Visit the amazing World of Birds Africa's largest Bird Sanctuary with over 3000 birds and monkeys, Tel: 021 790 2730
- Enjoy a meal at the Chapman's Peak Restaurant; grand old lady of Cape Town outdoor seafood restaurants with spectacular view of the beach, ocean and harbour.
- Take a walk on the wild side - Hoerikwaggo Trails offers the Slangkop Lighthouse 2 day Trail a family-friendly hiking adventure, with overnight at the Slangkop tented camp.
- Also consider the Red Hill to Cape Town Trail, taking 4 Days; a self-catering hike from Red Hill in Simonstown all the way to Cape Town along the famous Hoerikwaggo trail. Tel 021 683 7826
- Visit the historic seafaring town of Simonstown, with its "Historic Mile" of beautifully preserved historic buildings dating from 17 th Century Dutch to Victorian.
- Boulders Beach penguin colony, where you can swim with African (Jackass) Penguins which are so called for the donkey-like braying sounds they make when on land. Tel: 021 786 2329
- Take a unforgettable cruise around Simon's Bay to Seal Island or Cape Point with Simon's Town Boat Company to join them for an unforgettable cruise call 083 257 7760 or Email: email@example.com
- Rent a sea kayak or go on a guided tour to watch the Penguins at play - 082 501 8930.
- Scuba dive the famous local dive spots A-Frame, Castle Rock, Local Wrecks.
- Take a trip to Seal Island to see the breaching great white sharks, one of natures' most awesome spectacles with African Shark Eco-Charters; operating from Simon’s Town. Tel 082 674 9454 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the Simons town museum housed in The Residency circa 1777 depicting the cultural history of Simon's Town. Tel: 021 786 3046.
- Warrior toy museum has a unique collection of toy cars and trains, dolls and lead soldiers. Inexpensive treat for kids Tel: 021 786 1395
- Heritage museum depicts the history and forced removal of the Islamic Residents of Simon's Town. Tel: 021 786 2302
- SA Naval Museum is housed in the original Dockyard Magazine/Storehouse circa 1743,
Tel: 021 787 4635
- Explore history through the headstones of the Old Burying Ground near Seaforth Beach - some of which date to the 1700’s.
- Have a great seafood meal at Seaforth Beach restaurant and enjoy views of False Bay.
- Let the kids enjoy safe bathing at the sheltered Seaforth Beach.
- Visit Simonstown waterfront and Jubilee Square. See the sculpture of Able Seaman Just Nuisance, (a great Dane dog) and find out more of his famous wartime exploits.
- Join the locals and have great Fish ‘n Chips at the Salty Sea dog at Simonstown waterfront.
- Take the kids to the “Scratch Patch” - biggest Gemstone factory in the world; a place where you can have fun “scratching” through 1000’s of tumble-polished gemstones that cover the floor -
Tel: 021 786 2020
- Drive up Red Hill road Simonstown for spectacular views of False Bay and the naval base.
- Visit the quaint, bohemian fishing village of Kalk Bay – a working fishing harbour and one of the best places to buy fresh fish straight off the boat.
- Enjoy the best Fish ‘n Chips at Kalkie’s in the harbour; informal, inexpensive, eat in or take out. Tel 021 788 1726
- The Brass Bell Restaurant famous for generations for great seafood and views adjacent to the Kalk Bay Harbour - dine while watching the waves roll by – Tel 021 788 5455/6
- Stroll the Kalk Bay main road looking for Treasure in the many antique, art galleries, bric-a-brac and collectible shops.
- Enjoy the best ever ice cream at the Ice Café- even Jamie Oliver did.
- Snack on pancakes and coffee in an old railway dining coach
- Take a launch boat ride between Simonstown and Kalk bay with the Water taxi; pick-up /drop-off Points from the Kalk Bay Harbour and the Jetty at the Simon's Town Waterfront, Tel: 073 473 7684 or Email: email@example.com
- Kalk Bay is still a lively working harbour and offers great photographic opportunities.
- A memorable deli experience at the famous Olympia Cafe and Deli Tel 021 788 6396 on Kalk Bay Main Road.
- Drive from Kalk bay up Boye’s Drive for awesome views of the bay and the surfers at play in Muizenberg.
- Go caving in several interesting caves in the mountains above Kalk Bay.
- A short drive 15 minute along the False Bay coast you will find the surfing capital of Cape Town – Muizenberg with many attractions.
- Natale Labia Museum Main Road, Muizenberg built as a private residence for Count Labia and now a satellite of the National Gallery; housing superb collections of art works.
- Rhodes Cottage Museum: a small thatched beachfront house that Cecil John Rhodes bought as a holiday cottage and where he died in 1902 offers a glimpse of the Colonial days.
- Whale Watching June to November, the Southern Right Whales will amaze you.
- Het Posthuys museum is one of the oldest buildings in South Africa, dating to 1742; built by the Dutch East India Company as a toll.
- Dine at Fogey's Railway House, Muizenberg Station, Tel 021 788-3252 -situated in a historic stone faced Station building by Sir Herbert Baker; overlooks the sea with fabulous views of False Bay and surfer’s corner.
- Have a laid back breakfast with the surfers at the Gaslight Café on Muizenberg, beachfront 021 788-6994
- Shop at local outdoor produce and craft markets - see our blog for details.
- Play Golf at the interesting course at Simon's Town Country Club - Tel 021 786 1233.
- Clovelly Country club Golf nestled in the mountain: Bookings: 021 784 2100.
- Steenberg golf course is rated as one of the top three courses in South Africa; Situated mere minutes from Horizon Holiday Cottages. Tel 021 713 2233
- Visit the Cape Peninsula National Park and witness the meeting the cold Benguela current of the West Coast and the warm waters of the Indian Ocean at spectacular Cape Point.
Discover Underwater Cape Town
Whether you are an accomplished diver; or a novice wanting to discover the amazing underwater world of Cape Town, you will find friendly help at Scuba Shack; one of our near neighbours. They will arrange your diving itinerary, accommodation and transport. Their services include sale or hire of equipment, and they also offer diver training, from their classroom and diving pool. Shore dives can be booked every day; while a fully rigged 7.3 metre semi-rigid dive boat is available for ocean dives. The boat is equipped with full safety gear and can comfortably accommodate 12 divers, 2 dive masters and the skipper. A permit is required to dive in the Marine reserve of the Peninsula; which they will obtain for you.
Tours of Cape Town attractions
We can arrange tours of the popular attractions of Cape Town including wine tasting tours conducted by a licensed Cape Town tour guide at inexpensive rates. Instead of having to have a nominated driver to enjoy wine tasting and meals at the fabled wine farms of Stellenbosch, Paarl or Franschoek, have our knowledgeable tour guide conduct you and bring you back safely to our accommodation.
For travel information about Barefoot in the Sand
Cape Town see our blog:
The cottages are beautifully decorated, and well equipped for self service and the whole place is so peaceful...
Read more reviews
Photo Gallery of Noordhoek
Please take a moment to
view a short video to see
why we are so popular with
families and couples alike.